Monday, April 23, 2012

First Visit: Bandolero Pop Up at Tacklebox

I'm a huge fan of Chef Mike Isabella's first restaurant, Graffiato. So, when I heard his next was going to be Mexican with a two week Cleveland Park home base, it was done and done.

I went Thursday night to Bandolero (which is in the middle of a trial run in the old Tacklebox space) to try the $65 pre fixe menu. You start out with delicious guacamole and chips PLUS pork rinds - don't flinch, it totally works! Oh, and don't miss Sam's lineup of sweet and spicy margaritas and cocktails at the bar (I loved the jalapeƱo infused tequila.)

Next, you pick three items from the menu. My favorites ended up being the mahi-mahi tacos, albondigas and the nachos with crispy goat and goat cheese.
Lots of fun options at Bandolero
They were out of my first choice at dessert, tres leches cake, so I settled on the coconut pineapple flan.

There are a few kinks they are working out, but it was a lot of fun being a part of the test opening. The manager came by and engaged us in a serious conversation about what we loved and what we would change.

I'll be back next week to try a few new things. Let me know what you thought and what I should order next!

Bandolero is temporarily located at 3407 Connecticut Avenue in Cleveland Park. It'll move to it's new home in Georgetown shortly, so try it while it's here - and if you can't get a reservation, the Cinco de Mayo party will be open to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment